Skip To Content
Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program

Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program

The demand for skilled workers in Ontario is growing... apprenticeship works!

By 2025, it is expected that Canada's skilled labour shortage will reach 1.2 million.

The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) is an opportunity for students to begin working on an apprenticeship in a skilled trade while still in high school.

The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program is offered through the Cooperative Education program. Students in a cooperative education placement can begin to work on the skills necessary to complete an apprenticeship. this can begin as early as grade 11 and can continue into grade 12. At the same time, students continue to work on compulsory and elective subjects necessary to complete grade 12. Students typically do not receive a wage while in high school, however, they leave with their OSSD and a career already underway! Students then continue with their apprenticeship heading toward certification.

Apprenticeship is hands-on learning specific to a trade occupation. About 85% of what is learned is done through on-the-job training. The remaining 10-15% is theory learning usually delivered at a community college. Both components must be completed, and an exam written to become a licensed journey person, or master, in the trade. The minimum education requirement to enter into most of the trades is grade 12. Those trades in the construction sector require grade 10.

Apprenticeships can last between 2 and 5 years depending on the trade. While learning, an apprentice is an employee and is therefore paid a percentage of a journey person's wage. The wage increases as the apprenticeship progresses. Earn while you learn!

Get your future pointed in the right direction with a skilled trade!

Useful Links

OYAP Website

Contact Information

Geoff Trasuk, Student Success Lead

Phone: 613-330-0929

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.