Skip To Content
Glengarry County School Information
Information on Historical Schools in Glengarry County.

This table shows the current schools in the Glengarry area at the top and the past schools/schoolhouses below. The table contains information regarding: the school name, location/township, closing date, and the location that students went to after the school/schoolhouse closed. Schools that include a historic photograph are underlined. Click the underlined school name to see the photograph. To see the complete collection of photos, please look through the gallery listed on the sidebar.

Legend-Glengarry
                             

  • N-North
  • S-South
  • E-East
  • W-West
  • Twp.-Township
  • Bd.-Board
  • S.S. No.-School Section Number
  • KTSA-Kenyon Township School Area
  • LTSA-Lochiel Township School Area
  • CTSA-Charlottenburgh Township School Area
  • LTSA-Lancaster Township School Area


SCHOOL NAME

LOCATION/ TOWNSHIP

CLOSING DATE

WHERE STUDENTS

WENT

New Williamstown Public School across the road from the Charlan District High School

19754 County Rd. 17, ON K0C 2J0


Registered on lot 20 part of lot 49 Conc. 1 NSR


South Glengarry, Williamstown

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950 and the new school came under the County Bd.’s jurisdiction in 1969

S.S. No. 23 Greenfield School

Lot 24 Conc. 5 (N of SW corner)


North Glengarry

1968

School section joined KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 24 Ireland School

SE corner lot 14 conc. 8


North Glengarry

1936

School section joined the KTSA in 1958


Maxville Public School (after 1956)

Maxville High School (Maxville Senior Public School)

Grew out of a continuation school built on Mechanic St. W (N part lot 10 Conc. 17 I.L.)


1954: Addition to the E side, another addition on W side a few years later


North Glengarry, Maxville

Closed as high school in 1974

 

Joined Alexandria and Williamstown High Schools to form the Glengarry High School District in 1949, union lasted 4 years


Maxville formed its own district in 1953


Tagwi Secondary School

S.S. No. 20 Fisk’s Corners School

Originally may have been on S part lot 16 Conc. 9


School site registered on the SE corner S1/2 lot 15 Conc. 9


North Glengarry

1960

School section joined the KTSA in 1956


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 21 Stewart’s Glen School

S side of the E1/2 lot 32 Conc. 9


North Glengarry

1945

School section joined the KTSA in 1957


Maxville Public School (after 1956)

S.S. No. 18 The Pit School

Lot 34 Conc. 6 (N side of Highway 22)


North Glengarry

1958

School section joined in the formation of the KTSA in 1949


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 19 Baltic Corners School

E of the NW corner lot 24 Conc. 6


North Glengarry

1960

School section joined the KTSA in 1956


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 16 (U16 and Charlottenburgh) Apple Hill School

NW Corner lot 37 Conc. 1

After 1963, school was moved to lot 36 behind Zio United Church


North Glengarry, Apple Hill

1963

School section joined the KTSA in 1964


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 17 Athol School

Lot 9 Conc. 20 I.L.


North Glengarry

1958

School moved to Upper Canada Village


School section joined the formation of the KTSA in 1949


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 14

School closed in section before 1936

Section never joined the KTSA


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 15

NW Corner W1/2 lot 30 Conc. 4, rear of W1/2 of school site was also sold


North Glengarry

1965

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 11 Maple Avenue School

N side lot 5 Conc. 13 I.L.


First school for this section was on lot 2


North Glengarry

1953

School section joined the KTSA in 1949


Maxville Public School (after 1956)

S.S. No. 12 (U12 & Charlottenburgh) Connortown School

SE corner lot 13 Conc. 1

Metal school


North Glengarry

1942, open again in 1943 and closed in 1947

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School (after 1956)

S.S. No. 13

E1/2 lot 7 Conc. 4 (mid E side)


North Glengarry

Before 1936, ceased to be reported

School section never joined the KTSA


Maxville Public School (after 1956)

S.S. No. 9

S.S. No. 9S was on lot 13 Conc. 3


S.S. No. 9N was on the W1/2 lot 18 Conc. 4


North Glengarry

1965

 

School section joined the KTSA in 1962


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 10 Loch Garry

NE corner lot 27 Conc. 2


North Glengarry

1965

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 7 (U7 & Roxborough) Dominionville School

At one time may have been on lot 8 Conc. 16 I.L. (S of road)


School relocated to SE corner lot 9 Conc. 16 I.L.


North Glengarry

1960

School section joined in the formation of the KTSA in 1949


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 8 Third Concession School

E1/2 lot 13 Conc. 3 (N of SE corner)


North Glengarry

Around 1940 (1937-1942), not standing

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 5 Fassifern (and 20) Caledonia

Early school site: lot 9 Conc. 6 (near SE corner)


New school: lot 6 Conc. 6 (part of the SE1/2) around 1900


North Glengarry

1967

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 6

W1/2 lot 19 Conc. 6 (near SE corner)


North Glengarry

1967

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 3 (U3 & Caladonia) Dunvegan School

Lot 24 Conc. 9 (N of the SW corner)


North Glengarry

1965

School section joined the KTSA in 1956


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 4 St. Elmo School

First school: lot 35 Conc. 8


School site later on SE corner lot 33 Conc. 8


New brick school built in 1858


North Glengarry

1966, not standing

 

School section joined in the formation of the KTSA in 1949


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 1 Big Beaver School

W1/2 lot 7, S part, Conc. 8


Relocated to lot 6 Conc. 8 (E of the SW corner)


North Glengarry

1964

School section joined the KTSA in 1965


Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 2 (U2 & Lochiel) Cotton Beaver

SW corner W1/2 lot 6 Conc. 9


North Glengarry

1963

School section joined the KTSA in 1956


Maxville Public School

Williamstown High School

Williamstown

North Glengarry

1953

Char-Lan District High School

S.S. No. 4 Bloomington

Bloomington Rd., Maxville

North Glengarry

Records date up to 1959

Maxville Public School

S.S. No. 16 Capron School

SE corner N1/2 lot 9 Conc. 9


North Glengarry

1968

School section joined the LTSA in 1953


Came under the S.D. &G. County Board’s jurisdiction in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 14 McCormick School

Was once on the E1/2 lot 20 S part Conc. 3


Registered on the NE corner W1/2 lot 19 Conc. 2


North Glengarry

1945

School section joined the LTSA in 1965


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 15 Lochinvar School

S part of W1/2 lot 20 Conc. 9


North Glengarry

Closed in 1942, opened again around 1949, closed permanently in 1969

School section joined the LTSA in 1954 and came under jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Board in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 12 Glen Robertson School

3 known school sites

SW corner of the SW1/2 lot 7 Conc. 1


W of first school site on S part of lot 3 Conc. 2


North Glengarry

1956

School section joined the LTSA in 1956


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 13

SW corner of lot 25 Conc. 8


Later a school was built on lot 26 Conc. 7 (S of the NE corner)


North Glengarry

1956

School section joined in the formation of the LTSA in 1951


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 11 Boyd School

NW corner E1/2 lot 20 Conc. 1


Glengarry

1943

School section joined the LTSA in 1965


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 10 (U10 Alexandria)

Old school was on lot 9 part of lot 37 Conc. 2 in Alexandria


New school on the NE corner of Kincardine and Dominion Streets in Alexandria


Also a high school in this section; classes in the public school then a log building was built on lots 57 & 58 part of lot 37 Conc. 2


New brick school was built on the N side of St. Paul St.


New modern school was built on the W side of Main St. between Kincardine and McDougal Ave.


North Glengarry

New school closed in 1969

 

School section joined the LTSA in 1965,
County Bd. in 1969


School was renamed Glengarry District High School in 1954


Alexandria High School joined with Williamstown and Maxville in 1949 to form the Glengarry High School District, union lasted 4 years and Alexandria was left as the only school in the Glengarry High School District


Students came from surrounding schools until 1969 and from Laggan Public School into Glengarry District High School

S.S. No. 8 Glen Sanfield School

NE corner of S1/2 lot 8 Conc. 4


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined the LTSA in 1952 and came under jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 9 Eigg School

W1/2 lot 31 Conc. 3 (S side of Eigg Road)


North Glengarry

1952

School section joined the LTSA in 1965


Laggan Public School (after 1969)

S.S. No. 6 Lorne School

Registered on SE corner lot 20 Conc. 5


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined the LTSA in 1965 and came under the jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 7 Brodie School

Originally school was on NE corner S1/2 lot 5 Conc. 5


A school later operated on the SW corner N1/2 lot 5 Conc. 5


North Glengarry

1967

School section joined the LTSA in 1965


Laggan Public School (after 1969)

S.S. No. 4 Dalkeith School

Registered E of the NW corner lot 8 Conc. 6


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined in the formation of the LTSA in 1951 and came under jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 5 Lochiel/Concrete School

Registered on the NE1/4 of the E1/2 lot 32 Conc. 4


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined the LTSA in 1956, dropped put 1957 and joined again in 1965 under County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 3W Pine Grove School

NE corner W1/2 lot 31 Conc. 6


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined in the formation of the LTSA in 1951 and came under jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 3E Spring Creek School

NE corner E1/2 lot 19 Conc. 6


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined the LTSA in 1965 and came under jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 1 McCrimmon School

Registered on the SE corner W1/2 lot 31 Conc. 9


North Glengarry

1969

School section joined the LTSA in 1956 and came under jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. in 1969


Laggan Public School

S.S. No. 2 Breadalbane School

Mid S side N1/2 lot 7 Conc. 8


North Glengarry

1954

School section joined in the formation of the LTSA in 1951


Laggan Public School (after 1969)

S.J. McLeod Public School

5449 County Rd. 26, Bainsville, ON K0C 1E0


South Glengarry

June 2017

Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. U.S.S. No. 21 and A Cornwall Christie School

Registered on the NE corner lot 9 Conc. 9 I.L.


South Glengarry

1963

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 22 Muddy Bay School

Registered on mid part lot 1 Conc. 1 Front (N of Highway #2)


South Glengarry

1958, not standing

School section joined the CTSA in 1960


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 18 (and 19 Kenyon) Munro’s Mills School

Registered on the W part of lot 29 Conc. 8 NSR (N of the forced road)


South Glengarry

1963

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 20

Originally combined with S.S. No. 8 and was on lot 9 Conc. 4 I.L. (now on lot 8)


South Glengarry

1954

School section came under jurisdiction of the CTSA in 1954


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 19 Glen Falloch School

Registered on mid part of lot 7 Conc. 6 I.L. (N of Glen Falloch Rd.)


South Glengarry

1951

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 16 Frog Hollow School

Registered on the SE corner lot 8 Conc. 9 NSR

School was moved to Apple Hill in 1958 (lot 37 Conc. 1 Kenyon Twp.), used as Glengarry Legion Hall No. 312


South Glengarry

1952, land sold and was combined with R.C. Separate School No. 4 May 17 1968

Maxville Public School (after 1956)

 

S.S. No. 17 Echo Vale School

Registered on the NE corner lot 19 Conc. 8 NSR


South Glengarry

1966

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1965


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 14 Maple Ridge School

Registered on the mid part lot 11 (or A) Conc. 4 NSR

Maple Rd.


South Glengarry

1964

2011

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 15 St. Raphael’s

Was once on lot 7 Conc. 7, later on lot 6 Conc. 7 (part of E1/2)


South Glengarry

1948

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 12 Martintown

2 room brick school was on lot 6 part of lot 25 Conc. 1 NSR


South Glengarry, Martintown

September 2009

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950 and new school came under the County Bd’s jurisdiction in 1969


Williamstown Public School


S.J. McLeod Public School (most)

S.S. No. 13 Maple Leaf School

Registered on the NW corner W1/2 lot 6 Conc. 2 NSR


South Glengarry

1964

 

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 11 McGillivray Bridge School

School on S part of W1/2 lot 39 Conc. 1 NSR


South Glengarry

1964

School section joined in the formation of the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 9 Finney’ Bridge School

Registered on the NE corner of the W1/2 lot B Conc. 1 SSR


South Glengarry

1961, not standing

School section joined the CTSA in 1965


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 7 Grant School

No registration, but school site was on S part W1/2 of lot 17 Conc. 2 SSR


School was on the S side of the road right by the river but was moved to the N side of the road


South Glengarry

1964

School section joined the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

 

S.S. No. 8 (&20)

Registered on the N part lot 9 Conc. 4 I.L.

School structure was on lot 8 just N of the river


South Glengarry

1962

School section joined the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 5 Glen Donald/Cooper School

Registered on the mid part of lot 5 Conc. 3 I.L. (N of road)


South Glengarry

1962

School section joined the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 6 Glen School

Registered on the mid part of W1/2 lot 8 Conc. 2 SSR (N of Glen Road)


South Glengarry

1960

School section joined the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 3 Summerstown Station School

Registered on SW corner of part lying N of the road E1/2 lot 12 Conc. 2 Front

Newer school built W of this site on lot 14

 

South Glengarry

1964

School section joined the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 4 Tyotown School

Registered on the S part of lot 7 Conc. 2 I.L. (N of road)


South Glengarry, Tyotown

1952

School section joined the CTSA in 1950


Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 1 Summerstown Front School

Registered on the SW corner lot 13 Conc. 1 Front


South Glengarry

June 28 1973

 

School section joined the CTSA in 1952

School came under the jurisdiction of the S.D. & G. County Bd. of Ed. in 1969


Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 2 Glen Walter P.S.

Registered on S part of lot 3 B.F.


Old school frame was on SE corner of past school property


South Glengarry

New school closed in 1984

School section joined the CTSA in 1950 and the S.D. & G. County Bd. of Ed. in 1969


Williamstown Public School

Former S.S. No. 13-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1959

Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

Former S.S. No. 2-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1969

Williamstown Public School

 

S.S. No. 1-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1969

Williamstown Public School

 

S.S. No. 17-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1969

Williamstown Public School

 

S.S. No. 18-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1959

Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 21 and a school in Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1964

Williamstown Public School

 

S.S. No. 22-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1959

Williamstown Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 9-Charlottenburgh

Charlottenburgh

South Glengarry

1964

Williamstown Public School

S.S. No. 15 Condie School

Registered on the S part of lot 18 Conc. 4


School replaced by the Lancaster Township Area Public School on SW corner lot 23 Conc. 4


South Glengarry

1960

School section joined the LTSA in 1949 and came under the S.D. & G. County Bd. of Ed. in 1969


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 17 Bainsville School

Registered on the E1/2 lot 17 Conc. 1 (S of the railway)


South Glengarry, Bainsville

1962

School section was one of the 1st 3 to form the LTSA in 1943


S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 16 McDonald/4th Concession School

Registered on the N part lot 13 Conc. 4


South Glengarry

1965-not standing

 

School section joined the LTSA in 1965


S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 13 Glen Norman School

Registered on lot 23 Conc. 8 (S of the NW corner)


South Glengarry

1955

School section joined the LTSA in 1956


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 14

Registered on part of lot 35 (SE corner) and part of lot 34 (SW corner)

Conc. 9

School reported to have been on lot 38 Conc. 8


South Glengarry

1964

School section joined the LTSA in 1965


S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 11

Another common/public school was known to open on the SE corner lot 31 Conc. 8


South Glengarry

1939-not standing

School section joined the LTSA in 1952


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 12 Dalhousie Mills/Brazeau School

Registered on lot 9 Conc. 9 (W of the SE corner)


South Glengarry, Dalhousie

1961

School section joined the LTSA in 1952


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 10 Glen Nevis/Red School

Registered on lot 17 Conc. 7 (N of the SE corner)


South Glengarry

Closed temporarily due to small enrolment in 1935 and permanently in 1936

School section joined the LTSA in 1949


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 8 North Lancaster School

Registered on lot 23 Conc. 6 (N of the SW corner)


South Glengarry, North Lancaster

1954

School section joined the LTSA in 1955


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 9 Pine Hill School

Registered on the N part of lot 33 Conc. 5


South Glengarry

1958

School section joined the LTSA in 1959


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 6 Picnic Grove School

Originally on lot 38 Conc. 4, became a union school with Charlottenburgh between 1850-1878


School then located south of NW corner lot 31 Conc. 3


South Glengarry

1962

School section was one of the 1st 3 to form the LTSA in 1943


S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 7 Bridge End School

Original school reported to have been on the N side lot 12 Conc. 5


Registered on S part of lot 12 Conc. 6 (across the road)


South Glengarry

1962

School section joined the LTSA in 1951


S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 3 (U3 Lancaster)

1st school on W side lot 38 Conc. 1


Present school on lot 38 Conc. 1, north of old school


South Glengarry

School taken over by S.D. & G. County Bd. of Ed. In 1969


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

Lancaster Public School

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1986

S.J. McLeod Public School

Lancaster S.S. #3 Public School

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1969

S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 9 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1959

S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 12 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1969

S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 13 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1954

S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 14 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1959

S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 15 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1960

S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 16 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1960

S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

 

S.S. No. 17 Lancaster

Lancaster

South Glengarry

1969

S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 5 Edgar School

Registered on W1/2 lot 24 Conc. 3 (just S of forced road)


South Glengarry

1948

School section joined the LTSA in 1949


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 4 Curry Hill School

Registered on W1/2 lot 9 Conc. 2


South Glengarry, Curry Hill

1948

School section never joined LTSA


S.J.
McLeod Public School (after 1962)

S.S. No. 1 McCuaig/Gunn School

Registered on SW part of lot 9 Conc. 1 (just S of Highway #401)


South Glengarry

1965

School section joined LTSA in 1965


S.J. McLeod Public School

S.S. No. 2 Kerr School

Wesley school reported to be on lot 24 Conc. 1


Kerr school registered on the S part W1/2 lot 26 Conc. 1


South Glengarry

1939, reopened in 1944 and closed again in 1945

School section was one of the 1st 3 sections to form the LTSA in 1943


S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)

P.S.S. No. 6

Roxborough

1964

Roxmore Public School


North Stormont Public School


Maxville Public School

Waverly School

Old McBean Mansion

Overlooking Lake St. Lawrence, southwest of Lancaster exit on the 401

1960s

S.J. McLeod Public School (after 1962)



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.